Saturday, March 9, 2024

the empty road - 38. the king


by bofa xesjum

part thirty-eight of forty

for previous chapter, click here

to begin at the beginning, click here



gilgamesh was born with a kingdom of his own to rule, but, strangely enough, he did not like it much.

i would give up my kingdom to be free, he told his friend bud as they watched the sunset.

i do not see that as a problem, bud replied, your brother bill would happily take your place.

do you really think so, gilgamesh cried, let us see if bill is willing to do so.

bill proved quite amebable, and gilgamesh and bud set out on their travels the next day.

on the second day they met a girl named sal, and she bewitched them both.

she belongs to me, gilgamesh told bud, do not forget that i am king.

you are king no longer, my friend, bud retorted, and she likes me.

enraged , gilgamesh picked up a rock and bashed poor bud's head in.

so now i am all yours, sal whispered huskily to gilgamesh.

a cloud passed over the waning moon, and gilgamesh wept.

get away from me, you evil creature, gilgamesh cried.

you have made me kill my best friend.

i thought you liked me, sal expostulated.

gilgamesh turned away and left her.

he headed down the road.

the long empty road.

to his destiny.

without bud.

alone.

next



No comments:

Post a Comment